This tutorial will show you a step-by-step guide on how to convert MS Outlook emails into Thunderbird. The article is about free manual procedures and software execution to export MS Outlook files into Thunderbird seamlessly. It is certified by a technical expert that will provide you with ways to convert your Outlook email into Thunderbird.
What is MS Outlook & Thunderbird?
Both MS Outlook and Thunderbird are email clients, but certain features make the difference between them. So before trying to import Outlook mailbox to Thunderbird, we need to have some idea of both these email clients.
MS Outlook is undoubtedly one of the most popular email clients in recent times of Microsoft’s Office suite. Many small and large organizations use Outlook with MS Exchange Server or SharePoint server to manage calendars, coordinate meetings, and shared mailboxes. The best feature of Outlook is that it lets users work even on offline mode.
Whereas Mozilla Foundation develops Thunderbird, and it is an open-source application developed for cross-platform use. Thunderbird can be used in Windows, MAC, and Linux operating systems to manage emails, RSS feeds, news feeds, and so on.
Reasons to Converts Email from Outlook to Thunderbird
There are various reasons due to which a lot of users convert MS Outlook mailbox into Thunderbird format.
Compatibility: One of the major reasons for the migration of MS Outlook email into Thunderbird is its compatibility. Thunderbird is a cross-platform application and runs swiftly on various Operating systems.
Price Tag: MS Outlook has one of the most user-friendly interfaces and is loaded with some amazing features, but it has some paid features too. At the same time, Thunderbird is a free tool and doesn’t charge anything from its users.
A Manual Guide To Import Outlook Mailbox to Thunderbird
The process to convert MS Outlook emails onto Thunderbird is not a complicated task. You can easily do it with the help of this guide for free:
Note: There are two scenarios that I will be sharing: 1. In case of single machine transfer and 2. In case of migration from one machine to another.
So choose the process that suits you.
Scenario 1: Single Machine Transfer
- Go to ‘Start’
- Select ‘Default Programs’
- Now choose ‘Set your default program.’
- Select ‘Outlook’ option
- Now click on ‘Set this Program as default option.’
- After setting your preference, launch Thunderbird in your system.
- Go to ‘Tools’ tab
- Select ‘Import’ and
- Go to ‘Mail’ tab and select the ‘Radio Button’ just next to it.
- Now click on ‘Next’ and choose ‘Outlook.’
- Now click on ‘Next’ and then ‘Finish.’
This is how you can import or convert Outlook to Thunderbird.
Scenario 2: Migration From One System to Multiple Ones
- First, install Thunderbird on the system where Outlook is pre-installed
- After installing, close Thunderbird.
- Now go to ‘Start’ button and type %APPDATA% in the search box.
- Now choose ‘Roaming’ folder.
- Next, go to ‘system’s USB port attach an external device.’
- Under the ‘Roaming Window,’ right-click on ‘Thunderbird folder.’
- Choose ‘Send to’ option and select ‘Externally Connected Device to import data’
- After selection, add an external device to your system and then open it.
- Now right-click on ‘Thunderbird folder’ and copy the folder.
- And again, click on ‘Start’ button and type %APPDATA% in the search box.
- Now select ‘Roaming’ folder.
- Now delete the ‘Thunderbird’ folder and paste the new ‘Thunderbird’ folder.
So here is how you can migrate Outlook mailbox to Thunderbird if you have different systems to work out with.
Advantages Of Using Manual Techniques
- Free of cost
Disadvantages Of Using Manual Techniques
- Complicated process
- Time consuming process
- Chance of losing your data
- Doesn’t let users transfer contacts
Convert Outlook Emails into Thunderbird With The Help Of A Software
Being an expert and an n ex-tool analyst, have reviewed and tested many software applications which are worthy enough to list their names but one of the most advanced and featured rich application to migrate Outlook to Thunderbird is Outlook Recovery. This tool is one of the finest tools in importing files from Microsoft Outlook and lets users save these files into Thunderbird MBOX format. The best part of this application is that it can even support corrupt PST files. The user interface of this Software is very easy to understand and execute. So that even a novice user can also use it without any help; plus, they have a free version, too, with which you can evaluate the tool and its performance.
Advantages Of Using Software
- Fast and effective
- Secure way to convert Outlook to Thunderbird
- Simple and easy user-interface
- Support corrupt PST files
Disadvantages Of Using Software
- For a full version, you have to pay a small amount.
So this is how you can export / import Outlook mailbox to Thunderbird through manual techniques and Software. So it is fully up to you whether you want to go for manual procedure or Software.
Manual procedures are good but lengthy and complicated, whereas Software are paid but easy to execute and very effective.
I hope you liked this article.