The majority of Office 365 customers, including users and administrators, do not back up their mailbox data. They feel their information is safe on the cloud. However, backing up Office 365 emails and other stuff is a brilliant idea. You can back up to PST files using Office 365’s built-in feature. There are a couple of Office 365 Backup solutions that can export Office 365 mailboxes to PST files.
What Is the Purpose of Office 365 Backups?
Users of the Office 365 platform can store data in the cloud. Data on the cloud, on the other hand, is available to everyone. As a result, it is vulnerable to illegal access and hacking. Incorrect account closure and unintentional deletion of things can also occur on the part of users. There are no techniques to recover Office 365 mailbox data in the event of data loss or omission. As a result, to deal with account loss and data loss concerns, you should back up your Office 365 mailboxes when backed up as PST files; Office 365 mailbox data is straightforward to distribute.
Methods for Backing Up Office 365 Mailboxes
Using the Content Search eDiscovery and Outlook Import/Export methods, Office 365 administrators may backup mailboxes. However, it necessitates a thorough understanding of Office 365 and the Exchange admin centre. If you are a techie, you should attempt this approach to free export Office 365 mailbox to PST. If you are a beginner, this approach will not work for you. As a result, you should experiment with third-party Office 365 backup products. We’ll go through both ways here:
- Backup Office 365 mailboxes using the Content Search eDiscovery technique
- Outlook Import/Export Method for Backing Up Office 365 Email
- Backup Office 365 Mailbox using Third-Party Software
Method 1: Backup Office 365 mailboxes using the Content Search eDiscovery technique
eDiscovery Technique Steps to Taking Office 365 Email Backup
- Sign in to Office 365 using authorized administrative credentials.
- Then, navigate to the Admin Center and choose Exchange.
- Navigate to Permissions > admin roles and choose Discovery Management in the Exchange Admin Center.
- Add the Mailbox Import Export role to Discovery Management, then add yourself by clicking the + button and clicking Save.
- Back in the admin centre, navigate to Compliance Management and select in-place eDiscovery & hold.
- You’ll see a Plus symbol here. Click on it to create a new search query, enter the name and description of the search query, and then click Next to begin.
- Now, under Mailboxes, select any of the following options based on your needs and then click Next.
- Give the information for searching things under Search query and then click Next.
- You may now execute in-place hold of Search items under the In-Place Hold settings.
- Finally, choose Compliance management and press the arrow button to export Office 365 emails to Outlook PST.
- To save the exported PST file, use the eDiscovery PST Export Tool to go to the desired place. And then press the start button to begin the procedure.
- To finish the procedure, you will be asked to submit the Office 365 credential. And then click the close button after the process is completed.
- You may access your PST file in MS Outlook by adding it to an existing Outlook profile.
Methods 2. Outlook Import/Export Method for Backing Up Office 365 Email
If you use email for business, you’re probably utilizing an Exchange or IMAP account. Exchange and IMAP servers automatically archive your email, so you may access it whenever and wherever you choose. If you have an Exchange account, contact your administrator to learn how to access your archived email.
Suppose you wish to back up the message folders locally. In that case, you can use AutoArchive to relocate or remove older things automatically, or you can export the items to an a.pst file that you may restore and use later by importing.
- Choose File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Select Export to a file, then Next.
- Next, choose Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Select the mail folder you wish to back up and then click Next.
- Choose a location and name for your backup file, then click Finish.
- Enter and confirm a password, then click OK to ensure no one else has access to your data.
The disadvantages of the manual approach
The following are some disadvantages of the manual approach:
- The manual method is a laborious process.
- It is a time-consuming and laborious procedure to export emails from Office 365 to Outlook.
- Non-technical people will find it challenging to utilize.
- The migration task necessitates extensive technical knowledge.
Method 3: Backup Office 365 Mailbox using Third-Party Software
As we stated in the section on the disadvantages of the manual technique, it is difficult for non-technical people to complete such lengthy and hard work. As a result, it is recommended that you use a third-party solution such as Aryson Office 365 Backup to export complete Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook PST quickly. The tool is easier to use since it requires less technical expertise to use. As a result, non-technical users may use our Export Office 365 to PST application without professional support.
How to Take Office 365 Email Backup
- Run the Aryson Office 365 Backup software after downloading it.
- Select the Backup option in the software window and hit the Next button to backup your Office 365 data.
- Then, input your Office 365 login credentials and Assign Impersonation Rights in the new tab before clicking the Login button to access your Office 365 account.
- Following that, a new tab will be launched with a list of administrators and their mailbox user IDs.
- You may import CSV files containing your preferred Office 365 email Ids into your Office 365 account here.
- Next, under this page, pick Backup as Mailbox, Archive, or Public Folder from your Office 365 account and click Next.
- You may also pick the Backup option from the Mailbox User Id list’s dropdown menu.
- A Tree structure of your Mail folders will display in the new tab. To proceed, select any email folder from the Tree structure and press the Next button.
- To save your data in PST format, choose PST file format from the file saving options.
- By selecting the Remove duplicate email option, you may remove repetitious emails from your backup file.
- Next, use the Mail filter and Task filter to locate your mailboxes.
- Then choose Custom Folder to store your data to a preset folder name.
- Now, select the directory to save your email file and press the Convert button to begin the email backup procedure.
- After that, wait a few moments for the software to store your mailboxes with simplicity. This storing procedure is also visible at the bottom of the tab.
- Your file will be saved in PST format within a few minutes, and a Log report will be created. This Log report is available for download.
In this article, we covered how to export Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook manually. Non-technical users, on the other hand, find it challenging to choose a manual technique that demands technical expertise. As a result, we’ve also offered a professional solution that’s quick, dependable, and simple to use.