This file format is commonly used by most of the email clients like Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Entourage, Spice-bird, GyazMail, Sparrow, The Bat, Mulberry, Sylpheed, Opera, Power Mail, Postbox, Netscape, etc. But, both the file formats use different platforms and structure to store data. So it is very difficult for a normal user to convert PST files to MBOX.
In This article, we have discussed simple manual tricks to migrate data from PST to MBOX file format. Manual Techniques are simple and very effective way for users which easily converts PST to MBOX format. But before applying this manual method, be sure to take full backup of the original PST file.
Manual Method To Convert PST To MBOX Using Thunderbird
As the manual method is considered to be more typical thus you need to follow each and every step carefully. Because if you miss any of the mentioned steps or executed in an abnormal manner then it may lead to serious data loss. Once the data get lost then you will never be able to gain it back. So be careful and attentive where needed.
Note: Before you apply the below mentioned steps on a duplicate PST file, make sure that you take complete backup of original PST.
Migrating PST to MBOX is a simple 2-Steps technique. It can be easily done with the following steps:
1. Sync Microsoft Outlook with Gmail using Internet Access Protocol in Gmail (IMAP)
2. Extract the information /data from Gmail using Google Takeout
Note: Suppose If the user previously has IMAP account configured with Outlook then skip to Step 2.
Step 1: Techniques to sync Outlook with Gmail using IMAP
Enabling IMAP in Gmail:
1. Log-in to your Gmail account
2. Click on Gear icon >> press on Settings
3. Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP preference
4. Now, press on Enable IMAP
Syncing Outlook with Gmail
1. Open Microsoft Outlook and go to file
2. Now, select “Add Account”
3. Enter the required information in the space provided, like Name, password, etc.
4. Click on “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” option
5. Click “Next” and then click on option next to “Internet E-mail” and then click on “Next” button
6. Fill required field in “Add New Account” screen
7. Change the “Account Type” drop down menu to “IMAP” and in “Incoming Mail Server” field enter “imap.gmail.com” & “smtp.gmail.com” in “Outgoing Mail Server” and fill other required field
8. Click on “More Settings” tab and then go to the “Advanced” tab
9. Change the Incoming Server (IMAP) & outgoing Server (SMTP) as shown in the figure below
10. Now click on “Outgoing Server” tab
11. Select the “My Outgoing Server (SMTP) require authentication” checkbox and then on “use same settings as my incoming mail server”
12. Click OK and then Next
13. Now click Finish and OK to finish the setup
Load the old Outlook PST in a new Outlook IMAP account
You can simply add previously created emails, calendar, and other Outlook items by following steps:
1. Go to File setting
2. Click on Open & Export and then choose Import/Export option
3. Select Import from another program or file and then click on Next
4. Select the Outlook Data File (.PST) and then click on Next
5. Browse PST file from its location and then Next
6. Now, click on Finish to complete the process.
After this all emails, notes and calendar are exported in Outlook and it will automatically get synced with your Gmail as IMAP account works as a mirror image between the email server and email client.
Step 2: Save data from Gmail using Google Takeout
Google Takeout is a feature in Gmail to move the data in and out from Google in a simple way. It also helps the user to download the data in a compressed file. However, by following the below mentioned steps you can save Gmail data in the form of MBOX
1. Log in to Google Takeout.
2. Click on “Select None” option located on the upper- right panel. Located in the navigation bar.
3. Now, select on “create an archive” button.
4. Now, it will open a new tab. Selecting Gmail in the service and finally click on create an Archive option.
When an archive file is downloaded, it will be saved with one of the following default file format i.e. ZIP, TGZ or TBZ file extension. Afterward the extraction of a ZIP file, all Outlook items such as emails, calendar, notes, contacts, etc. which were previously present in the Outlook PST file will be converted into MBOX Format. After this PST file conversion to MBOX, it can easily be synced with multiple email clients that support MBOX file format.
Advanced method to Convert PST to MBOX
By using PST to MBOX Converter tool, the user can easily extract PST file to MBOX. A user can also recover or fix the Outlook data file, if it is corrupted and then export PST to MBOX. As the manual technique to convert PST to MBOX is totally free and saves user money. But it also takes time in exporting PST into MBOX. So, if the user wants to save their time then using a third party utility tool to migrate Outlook PST into MBOX is more beneficial.