Changing your email client is no easy feat. One needs to track down all the files and emails to convert to another client. Good thing is that if you want to change from Gmail then Gmail itself provides an MBOX file for download using the Takeout feature. Importing the MBOX file can be done using any third-party software like MBOX Migrator
Manual Method to import Gmail Archive MBOX to Outlook
You cannot import Gmail Archive MBOX to Outlook directly. It is possible if done in two steps. These steps are as follows:
- Export Gmail Archive MBOX file
- Import MBOX file to MS Outlook
Step1: Export Gmail Archive MBOX file
Google provides a service known as Takeout which helps in taking the backup of the Google account into a file. The steps of doing it are as follows:
- Open your web browser and then type gmail.com and then Sign In.
- Now, open a new tab, and then type https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout. This will open Google Takeout.
- Under Create a New Export column, there is a section called Select Data to Include. Here, select the Mail option and then press the Next step
- Now, the second section is named Choose file type, frequency & destination. These three categories contain other sub-categories. It Is described below:
- Delivery method:
- Send download link via email
- Add to Drive
- Add to Dropbox
- Add to OneDrive
- Add to Box
- Export once
- Export every 2 months for 1 year
- File type and size:
- .zip and .tgz
- 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 10GB, 50GB
- Next, click on the Create Archive button to start archiving data. You can also see the status of the archive process.
- After this, you will get two options Create another archive and Manage Archive.
- Choose the Manage Archive option and then press the Download button to archive the data.
- Delivery method:
Step 2: Import Google Archive MBOX file to MS Outlook
MBOX Migrator Tool helps in migrating the MBOX file to different email clients of your choice like IMAP, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, Zimbra, Hotmail, etc. There are few other features of the software that are of big help. MBOX Migrator tool can easily import MBOX file to Outlook using these simple steps below.
- Download and install Aryson MBOX Migrator Tool.
- Run the application and then click on the Add File button to select the single or multiple MBOX files and then click on the Next button.
- Now, click on the Export button for MBOX File Migration.
- Next, select the destination path using the Browse button.
- Choose the file format or email clients from the dropdown list using choose Export options.
- Now, click on the Convert button to migrate the MBOX email successfully to the elected file format or email clients.
This article describes the method to import Gmail Archive MBOX to Outlook in an easy manner. First, Google Takeout helps you in forming an MBOX file that contains all the data and after that, you can import this file to MS Outlook using the Aryson MBOX Migrator tool.